Monday, December 11, 2017

.she's not getting it

In an attempt to go through the process of cancelling my Netflix subscription, every month, I endure and even more effort and time consuming burden of choosing a light weight, indie/hipster wannabe series that has no more than one season to binge over a period that is not allowed to exceed three days, which I could have spent doing something far more fruitful to both myself and this world, but after all I'm still under the umbrella of absolutely entitled millennial, so I'd rather feed the abhorrent, pointless monster that is this network.

Either that or I just don't want to go through the subscription process all over again once the news seasons of OITNB or Stranger Things are released.

Yeah, sounds a lot simpler.

The series I had the dreadful pleasure of stumbling upon this time was Netflix's recreation of "She's gotta have it" which depicts that life of a young, very attractive female artist whose chose a different path in life than to be identified according to a monogamous relationship and "belonging" to one man.

I'm not going to go into further details of the plot because I don't care enough to do that, neither am I going to engage into any comparison between that and the original because I have not seen it (yet), I'm just going to list some noteworthy pros and cons.

Pros:
1- The aesthetics of it all: the colors to shapes coordination is sensational visually, the interior sense throughout the series is absolutely inspiring, the color theme is very cozy and aligns perfectly with the theme of the setup.

2- No specific demographic: I feel like everyone can set through this (referring to the concept).
3- Personal interest: my biggest bucket list item is to visit Brooklyn some day, this could be an overly exaggerated or even completely inaccurate representation of the area and its' culture, but that was a beautiful peak into what myself or other NY enthusiasts might hope to witness when the day comes.
4- A refreshing African-American set of faces: is something we desperately need on television networks. :)

Cons:

1- Over the top acting: I could have missed the memo, and I do understand that it could be deliberate to deliver a theatrical type of performance, I just didn't find it very appealing as a viewer, it was irritating at some points, mostly because it was not played very well. it did not feel natural or organic, it felt very stiff and forced, there were moments where the main character and protagonist, Nola darling, would laugh and it was mind-numbing how fake it sounded. The idea is absolutely beautiful and is meant to represent real people, but it was poorly executed.

2- Exaggeration once again: the whole entire cast was placed into cast-types of the cliches expected from their character, particularly when it came to clothing, I do understand this usually applies in real life, but it could have been twisted up to make up for an interesting element in at least a couple of the characters, I would love to see an aspiring exotic dancer rocking a pant suit, nothing wrong with that.

3- Trivializing: this could stem from my own personal beliefs and perspectives , but #BlackLivesMatter, MATTERS on a much larger level than to be capitalized upon in a very poorly structured way, through a very cringe-inducing outro in one episode. it could have been presented to the varied audience interested throughout the entire production in every aspect of the life of this beautiful artist, but somehow, someone decided it was better to throw it out like this.

4- Disconnection: in one the episode, the protagonist showcases her works at an art gallery, where it was criticized by one of her very own lovers as for being disconnected, which is a great metaphor for what this production was.

Overall it's a 5.5/10 from me, It was very flawed, but it is one of the more beautiful and interesting things I have seen, probably because I am not used to things that actually add any cultural value.


0 comments: